Monday, October 11, 2010

Welcome to Linda's Blog!

Hello!  I am Jenny McCutcheon.  I am Linda and Don McCutcheon's daughter-in-law.  Our family lives in Rochester, MN and we have the WONDERFUL privilege of hosting Grandma (Linda) and Grandpa (Don). 

Here is a quick review of what happened last week:
October 6th, 2010 
Linda had a bronchoscopy with a lung mass biopsy.  That procedure lasted about 3 hours.  She was admitted to the MICU with respiratory distress. 

October 7th, 2010
Linda improved overnight and was moved in the afternoon to a regular room at St. Mary's Hospital (pulmonary team).  She developed a fever later in the day and was given antibiotics.

October 8th, 2010
Linda's breathing improved and was discharged on 5L of O2.

The "Final Primary Diagnosis" occluding left mainstem lesion suggestive of non-small cell lung cancer.
 

Here's a quick review of what's happening this week:
October 12th, 2010
Upper Endoscopy at 1:30pm.  This appointment should last 2-3 hours.

October 13th, 2010
PET Scan at 8:15am.  This appointment should last 2-3 hours.  Don and Linda also have a 3pm appointment with her pulmonary/critical care doctor at Mayo Clinic to discuss all the test results and future treatments.

This past weekend was filled with visits from Don and Linda's children and grand kids.  Tonight, we get a special visit from Halim.  Halim is married to Don and Linda's daughter, Lisa.  They live in CA and we are very excited to spend some time with him! 

PRAYER REQUEST:
Please, pray for Linda's appetite to improve.  She has no desire to eat.  Linda needs strength and that requires FOOD!  :)  She is also anxious about her upcoming tests.  Pray for her to feel an overwhelming peace as she goes through this next round of tests. 

Pray for Don and his continued strength.  His appetite is also dwindling.  Don's main concern is his lovely bride (and it should be...) but he need to remember to take care of himself too.

We love you all and covet your prayers!!!  (Come back often and check for more updates.)

12 comments:

deb said...

Thank you for getting this up and running :-) God Bless!

Hallie (ayrsy) said...

Hi, I'm a friend of Deb's...just wanted you to know that I'm praying for all of you...

Brenda Hall said...

For those of us in Arkansas that love Don & Linda, this blog is a wonderful tool to keep us informed. Informed on Linda's condition, on Don's well-being, and on specific things we can pray for. God bless your family, as this journey is a "family affair", Their First Baptist Church family in Siloam Springs is right there beside them on this journey as well! Please know how very much we love & appreciate your parents. Oh, one more thing....I LOVE the blog picture, I would recognize those hands anywhere!!! LOVE IT! I pray God's comfort & blessings on the McCutcheon family!

Bevra Mickel said...

Please tell Don and Linda that they are in my prayers. We at Siloam Springs First Baptist Church love them very much. I really like this link and the picture. Prayers for all of you.

The McCutcheons said...

Thanks to all for checking in on the blog. Don and Linda get your comments emailed to their personal email via Blogger. So, they'll see all your kind words.

-Jenny

Laura Macfarlan said...

What a brilliant idea! For those of us waiting and praying back in Siloam Springs, this is so welcome and needed. We are grateful for the update and will continue to PRAY! Please hug each other for us!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for creating a blog to keep us informed of Linda's condition. Our church in Lawton, Oklahoma is also praying for Linda and Don. God bless

Keith and Pam Ketelsen said...

Hi Linda and Don!

Just wanted you to know our hearts and prayers are with you both. Many heartfelt prayers will keep us together. So sad for all the pain and suffering you have had - keep on keeping on - your family loves you and so do we.

Pam and Keith Ketelsen

P.S. Thank Jenny for keeping us all informed. It's a wonderful idea!

Deb McCutcheon said...

Hello From Deb and Bruce! We are so glad that this Blog is up and running so we can keep up with what's happening! We are praying for you all and that the Lord will lead and direct the Dr's! We know from experience that the Lord does give the Dr's wisdom when they are working on his children! A special verse that my mom (Mary) gave us when Jake was born was..."You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe. Every day was recorded in your Book!" Psalm 139:16 We have gone back to this verse over and over through the years. It is so true for us even when we are older. We are in His hands!! That's been a comfort for us and hope it will be for you too! You are brought to our minds and we are praying! Love ya much Deb and Bruce

Reece said...

Hello from Reece & Dana,
We've missed you at FBC Siloam Springs, especially in the choir. Our prayers are with you and I know you are truly leaning on the Everlasting Arms of our Lord to carry you through this difficult time. This morning I thought of you as we sang, For the Lord Our God Reigns." I know He reigns in your hearts. May God bless you and heal you!

Lisa said...

I LOVE dad's "I Love My Wife" t-shirt!!! Does he ever take it off???

James T. Jacobson (Jim) said...

Dear Linda
I am praying for you, and I thought I might tell you what I am praying so that you could add it to your prayers—or so that, even if you stop praying for yourself, you know that I am among the many people who will not stop. I am praying for you to get well and become whole again.
I pray that your doctors might be the hands of God. They are not the only way that healing may come to you, but they are a good and proven way. I am praying that your doctors might find a treatment for your ailments —forever or for a little while. I am also praying that you might have the hope and courage to be their partner in the work of healing you. Hope mixed with medicine makes both the medicine and the hope stronger.
Linda, I am praying that you use your fear rather than submitting to your fear. Those who tell you not to be afraid are well-meaning fools. It is natural and normal for you to be afraid now. However, I pray that you might find a way to transform your fear into fuel for your fight. You are not a victim and you are not condemned. You are a living woman who is deeply loved, and you can fight this thing with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. Use your fear now to fight for your life.
And finally Linda I am praying that you might smell the scent of water. Job (14:7) wrote about the hope he saw even in a felled tree. “If its roots are deep in the earth, at the first scent of water it will send forth new green shoots and grow again.” I pray that you will be like that tree, Linda. I pray that despite whatever your prognosis, you will walk with spirit again with nothing on your mind except the colors of the water and the feeling of the wind on your face. Linda, you can do this. You can beat this. You can find strength of spirit and a resolute courage to fight this disease within you. What I have learned from the sick people who have been my teachers is that such strength and such courage looks more like hope than anger, more like serenity than combativeness. The secret of this fight is to know the feeling of being rooted in the love of family and friends and, for some, if not most, God. I am praying for you Linda I am praying that beyond the smell of antiseptic and crappy hospital food that you might catch a whiff of something fine and bracing and beseeching and incantatory. I am praying that you can catch a scent of water. No matter what tomorrow might bring, Linda, I pray that today your new leaves will begin to sprout.
May God bless you and heal you.
Jim